Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-UN to vote on a resolution demanding a halt to attacks on vessels in the Red Sea by Yemen’s rebels -GrowthProspect
SignalHub-UN to vote on a resolution demanding a halt to attacks on vessels in the Red Sea by Yemen’s rebels
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 05:40:54
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The SignalHubU.N. Security Council scheduled a vote Wednesday on a resolution that would condemn and demand an immediate halt to attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels on merchant and commercial vessels in the Red Sea area.
The U.S. draft resolution, obtained late Tuesday by The Associated Press, says at least two dozen Houthi attacks are impeding global commerce “and undermine navigational rights and freedoms as well as regional peace and security.”
The Iranian-backed Houthis, who have been engaged in a civil war with Yemen’s internationally recognized government since 2014, have said they launched the attacks with the aim of ending Israel’s devastating air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip.
It was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’ Oct. 7 surprise attack in southern Israel which killed about 1,200 people and led to some 250 others being taken hostage. Israel’s three-month assault in Gaza has killed more than 23,000 people, two-thirds of them women and children, according to the Hams-run Gaza Health Ministry which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.
The resolution would demand the immediate release of the first ship the Houthis attacked, the Galaxy Leader, a Japanese-operated cargo ship with links to an Israeli company that it seized on Nov. 19 along with its crew.
However, the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue. In the latest incident, a barrage of drones and missiles fired by the Houthis late Tuesday targeted shipping in the Red Sea, though the U.S. said no damage was reported.
The Red Sea links the Mideast and Asia to Europe via the Suez Canal, and its narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait. Nearly 10% of all oil trade and an estimated $1 trillion in goods pass through the strait annually. But the Houthi attacks have forced many shipping companies to bypass this route and use the much longer and more expensive route around the Cape of Good Hope in Africa.
A U.S-led coalition of nations has been patrolling the Red Sea to try and prevent the attacks.
Last week the U.S. and 12 other countries issued a statement calling for the immediate end of Houthi attacks and warning that further attacks would require collective action. “The Houthis will bear the responsibility of the consequences should they continue to threaten lives, the global economy, and free flow of commerce in the region’s critical waterways,” they said.
While the Houthis have not stopped targeting ships, a tentative cease-fire between the Houthis and a Saudi-led coalition fighting on behalf of Yemen’s exiled government has held for months despite that country’s long war. That’s raised concerns that any wider conflict in the sea — or a potential reprisal strike from Western forces — could reignite those tensions in the Arab world’s poorest nation.
At an open Security Council meeting last week, Russia’s U.N. Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia said Russia’s U.N. Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia called on Houthi leaders to implement the statement by the 13 countries and halt attacks.
But he stressed that the Houthi’s actions must be seen as a response to “Israel’s brutal operation in Gaza,” and the best scenario would be for the Security Council to redouble efforts to end the Yemen civil war and the Israel-Hamas conflict.
The “catastrophic” scenario, Nebenzia said, would be to escalate the use of force in the Red Sea which risks derailing a settlement of the Yemen conflict . It would also create conditions “for igniting a new major conflict around at least the Arabian Peninsula” and a wider regional conflict, he said.
Given these concerns, it’s uncertain whether Russia will abstain or veto the draft resolution.
The final draft makes some changes that appear aimed at getting broader support.
The initial draft would have recognized “the right of member states, in accordance with international law, to take appropriate measures to defend their merchant and naval vessels.”
The final draft is weaker, eliminating any U.N. recognition of a country’s right to defend its ships. Instead, it would affirm that the navigational rights and freedoms of merchant and commercial vessels must be respected, and take note “of the right of member states, in accordance with international law, to defend their vessels from attacks, including those that undermine navigational rights and freedoms.”
Without naming Iran, the Houthis’ main arms supplier, the draft to be voted on would condemn all arms dealings with the rebels, which violate Security Council sanctions. It would also call for “additional practical cooperation to prevent the Houthis from acquiring the materiel necessary to carry out further attacks.”
Both drafts recognize the need to avoid escalating the situaton, but the resolution to be voted on is broader. It “urges caution and restraint to avoid further escalation of the situation in the Red Sea and the broader region.” And it “encourages enhanced diplomatic efforts by all parties to that end, including continued support for dialogue and Yemen’s peace process under the U.N. auspices.”
veryGood! (611)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Marcellus Williams' Missouri execution to go forward despite prosecutor's concerns
- Harvey Weinstein indicted in New York on additional charges
- Gracie Abrams mobilizes 'childless cat or dog people,' cheers Chappell Roan at LA concert
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Francis Ford Coppola sues Variety over story alleging ‘Megalopolis’ misconduct
- A teen accused of killing his mom in Florida was once charged in Oklahoma in his dad’s death
- A strike would add to turbulent times at Boeing
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Actor Chad McQueen, son of Steve McQueen, dies at 63
Ranking
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- US consumer sentiment ticks higher for second month but remains subdued
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage falls to 6.20%, its lowest level since February 2023
- US consumer watchdog moves to permanently ban Navient from federal student loan servicing
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban to resign amid FBI corruption probe, ABC reports
- Election 2024 Latest: Harris concentrates on Pennsylvania while Trump stumps in the West
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage falls to 6.20%, its lowest level since February 2023
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
How Prince Harry Plans to Celebrate His 40th Birthday With “Fresh Perspective on Life”
Linebacker at Division II West Virginia State fatally shot on eve of game against previous school
2nd Circuit rejects Donald Trump’s request to halt postconviction proceedings in hush money case
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Under $50 Cozy Essentials for Your Bedroom & Living Room
Colorado teen hoping for lakeside homecoming photos shot in face by town councilman, police say
Teen Mom's Amber Portwood Slams Accusation She Murdered Ex-Fiancé Gary Wayt