Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools -GrowthProspect
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 04:15:45
BATON ROUGE,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center La. (AP) — The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board has selected Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead the state’s second-largest traditional school district.
Wednesday’s unanimous vote came after weeks at an impasse following the withdrawal of several top candidates to replace Sito Narcisse who left the system in January six weeks after the School Board voted 5-4 to not renew his contract.
The decision comes just two weeks before students return Aug. 8 for the new school year and a day before State Superintendent of Education Cade Brumley planned to take unspecified action to compel the selection of a new superintendent.
Cole jumped in Tuesday after sitting out the initial round of applications held last month. He immediately rose to the top of the second round of applicants. Four hours after the application deadline, Cole was selected as the lone finalist and immediately sat for a 90-minute interview, The Advocate reported.
“I’m not remotely interested in leading a district that is just good,” Cole told board members. “I want our district to be great.”
Cole has spent 26 years in education in Baton Rouge. The past 13 have been as chief academic officer for CSAL Inc., a Baton Rouge-based charter school network. He also spent several years working for the parish school system, including stints as principal at both Capitol and Park Forest middle schools. The biggest hole in his résumé is a lack of experience as a Central Office administrator.
“Baton Rouge, this is my home. This is the city I love and I care about it so much,” Cole said, choked up with emotion.
Cole made clear his mission is more than just the 40,000 students enrolled in the school district.
“All of the children in this city are our students whether they go to our schools or not,” Cole said. “If they are eligible to attend one of our schools, we have to be concerned about the education they are receiving wherever they are and we have to be willing to own that responsibility.”
In a statement after the vote, Brumley spoke positively of the board’s action Wednesday.
“I’m encouraged by the board’s decision to come together around a new superintendent. Choosing a system leader is a core responsibility of a board, but the true work lies ahead,” Brumley said. “Too many students lack a basic education and graduate without the skills to lead a productive life. Too many teaching positions go unfilled. Too many families are trapped in failing schools. For Louisiana to succeed, we need East Baton Rouge to succeed.”
Cole’s path to the job was made easier when Narcisse withdrew his application minutes before interviews were to begin. Adam Smith had served as interim superintendent, but his six-month contract expired Tuesday, putting the district into legal uncertainty.
In response to a question from board member Mike Gaudet, Cole said, if hired, he would withdraw immediately from seeking re-election to District 7 this fall and would immediately start the process of leaving the Metro Council. Cole was first appointed to the seat in 2016 after his predecessor, state Rep. C. Denise Marcelle, was elected to the legislature. His current term ends in December.
veryGood! (29451)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Thousands watch Chincoteague wild ponies complete 99th annual swim in Virginia
- Christina Hall Accuses Ex Josh Hall of Diverting More Than $35,000 Amid Divorce
- San Diego Padres in playoff hunt despite trading superstar Juan Soto: 'Vibes are high'
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Kamala Harris: A Baptist with a Jewish husband and a faith that traces back to MLK and Gandhi
- US viewers’ Olympics interest is down, poll finds, except for Simone Biles
- Ralph Lauren unites U.S. Olympic team with custom outfits
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Aaron Boone, Yankees' frustration mounts after Subway Series sweep by Mets
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Missouri judges have overturned 2 murder convictions in recent weeks. Why did the AG fight freedom?
- Khloe Kardashian Is Ranked No. 7 in the World for Aging Slowly
- How Kristin Cavallari's Inner Circle Really Feels About Her 13-Year Age Gap With Boyfriend Mark Estes
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Still no return date for Starliner as Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams remain in space
- Texas woman gets 15 years for stealing nearly $109M from Army to buy mansions, cars
- What Kourtney Kardashian Has Said About Son Mason Disick Living a More Private Life
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Former Uvalde school police officer pleads not guilty to child endangerment in shooting
Indiana man competent for trial in police officer’s killing
Destiny's Child dropped classic album 'The Writing's on the Wall' 25 years ago: A look back
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Texas deaths from Hurricane Beryl climb to at least 36, including more who lost power in heat
Former Uvalde school police officer pleads not guilty to child endangerment in shooting
Days before a Biden rule against anti-LGBTQ+ bias takes effect, judges are narrowing its reach