Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year -GrowthProspect
Will Sage Astor-Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:55:14
BELGRADE,Will Sage Astor Serbia (AP) — A trial started Monday in Serbia for the parents of a teenager who is accused of killing 10 people and injuring six in a mass shooting at his school last May that left the Balkan nation in shock.
The suspected shooter, 13-year-old Kosta Kecmanovic, has been held in a mental institution since the attack and cannot be held criminally liable under Serbian law because of his age. His father and mother were charged with a “serious act against general safety” for failing to safeguard the weapon and ammunition used in the shooting.
The High Court in the capital, Belgrade, decided to keep the entire proceedings closed to the public despite calls by the defense lawyers that they be open. The couple, reportedly embraced in the courtroom and wept together, according to local media reports.
The shooting at a school in Belgrade last May 4, which left nine schoolmates and a security guard dead, was followed by another mass slaying a day later in central Serbia that killed eight people and wounded 14. The two attacks triggered months of protests against Serbia’s populist President Aleksandar Vucic for allegedly creating a culture of violence in a country that went through a series of bloody wars in the 1990s.
Kecmanovic’s father faces additional charges, including an accusation of training the boy how to shoot without properly guarding the weapons at their home. The manager of a shooting range and an instructor also have been charged.
Serbia has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. The country is full of weapons left over from the conflicts of the 1990s.
Chief prosecutor Nenad Stefanovic told state RTS broadcaster that he expects “a free and fair trial.”
The defense lawyers said Monday they are against keeping the trial closed to the public.
“Today the court made a decision to exclude the public in the entire course of this procedure, stating that this is done to protect the interests of minors and some private interests of the participants in the procedure,” lawyer Irina Borovic said. “Our position is that the decision of the court was absolutely hasty.”
veryGood! (4668)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- What is super fog? The mix of smoke and dense fog caused a deadly pileup in Louisiana
- US developing contingency plans to evacuate Americans from Mideast in case Israel-Hamas war spreads
- Spain’s acting government to push for a 37½-hour workweek. That’s if it can remain in power
- Average rate on 30
- Candidate for Pennsylvania appeals court in November election struck by car while placing yard signs
- 8 officers involved in Jayland Walker’s shooting death are back on active duty, officials say
- Qatar becomes a key intermediary in Israel-Hamas war as fate of hostages hangs in the balance
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Montana man gets 18 months in prison for racist phone calls to Black woman employed at church
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Inquiry into New Zealand’s worst mass shooting will examine response times of police and medics
- Washington state senator Jeff Wilson arrested in Hong Kong for gun possession and granted bail
- At least 50 people are kidnapped over two days in northern Cameroon by unknown gunmen
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- China announces the removal of defense minister missing for almost 2 months with little explanation
- Jana Kramer Shares the Awful Split that Led to Suicidal Ideation and More Relationship Drama in New Book
- Counting down the NBA's top 30 players for 2023-24 season: Nos. 15-1
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
California regulators suspend recently approved San Francisco robotaxi service for safety reasons
Israel is preparing for a new front in the north: Reporter's notebook
Miners from a rival union hold hundreds of colleagues underground at a gold mine in South Africa
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Ryan Gosling Scores 2023 Gotham Awards Nomination for Barbie: See the Complete List
Miners from a rival union hold hundreds of colleagues underground at a gold mine in South Africa
California orders Cruise driverless cars off the roads because of safety concerns