Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Boy who was 12 when he fatally ran over his foster mother gets 2 years in custody -GrowthProspect
Charles H. Sloan-Boy who was 12 when he fatally ran over his foster mother gets 2 years in custody
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 05:09:33
LONDON (AP) — A British foster child who told police “Looks like I got my first kill” after he ran over the 60-year-old woman caring for him was sentenced Wednesday to two years in custody.
The Charles H. Sloanboy, who was 12 at the time, fatally struck Marcia Grant when she tried to stop him from taking her car and fled the scene on April 5. He threatened to kill a police woman when he was arrested about an hour later, prosecutors said.
“Is she dead?” he asked officers, according to prosecutor Gary Crothers at an earlier hearing. “Looks like I got my first kill.” He then swore it had been an accident.
The boy, now 13, cannot be named because of his age. He previously pleaded guilty in Sheffield Crown Court to causing death by dangerous driving. Prosecutors dropped a murder charge.
Grant had been a foster mother since 2016 and was considered a pillar of the community in the Greenhill area of Sheffield in Northern England, police said.
Her daughter, Gemma Grant, told the court through tears that her mother “wanted to pull the world into a hug” and would lift up anyone facing adversity.
“It floors me that the boy that killed her was greeted by a massive hug, given lots of assurance and her trademark warmth,” Grant said. “We will never forgive him and will carry this trauma with us always.”
The boy was planning on taking the car to visit his family when he stole Grant’s keys, he told police in a statement. He said he grabbed a kitchen knife to protect himself if he was attacked while traveling alone.
He slipped out of the house and started the car.
“Someone’s taking the car,” Marcia Grant shouted and ran outside, her husband Delroy Grant said. She didn’t initially realize the child they were caring for was driving.
She stood behind the vehicle to block it but the boy shifted into reverse, knocking her over.
As his wife lay with her legs under the car, Delroy Grant smashed the driver’s side window and pleaded with the boy to stop.
But the car lurched backward “at some speed, causing the catastrophic injuries,” Crothers said.
The boy, who later claimed he had been a “gangster” since he was 9, said “sorry” as he ran away, prosecutor Mark McKone said Wednesday.
“I was in a state of panic, I didn’t know Marcia was behind the car,” the boy told police in his statement. “I never intended to hit her or cause her any harm. I’m very sorry for what has happened.”
Prosecutors said there was no evidence he intended to harm Grant.
Grant’s family disputed that in a statement criticizing prosecutors, saying they were “completely heartbroken that our mother will not get the justice she deserves.”
“We strongly believe that the evidence on hand shows a complete disregard for human life and clear premeditation to do serious harm,” they wrote in the statement posted on the South Yorkshire Police website.
Because of his age, the boy will be held in a secure youth center rather than an adult prison. He was also disqualified from driving for six years.
veryGood! (935)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Foreign spies are targeting private space companies, US intelligence agencies warn
- Swimmable cities a climate solution? Amid scorching heat, cities rethink access to waterways
- From Ramaswamy bashing to UFOs, the unhinged GOP debate was great TV, but scary politics
- Sam Taylor
- Bear attacks 7-year-old boy in New York backyard
- Grand jury declines to indict officer in fatal Kentucky police shooting of armed Black man
- Trump praises Jan. 6 crowd, repeats election lies in online interview while skipping GOP debate
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Bachelor Nation's Hannah Godwin Details Marrying Best Friend Dylan Barbour
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Lala Kent Shares Surprising Take on Raquel Leviss' Vanderpump Rules Exit
- WWE star Bray Wyatt, known for the Wyatt Family and 'The Fiend,' dies at age 36
- Australian, US, Filipino militaries practice retaking an island in a drill along the South China Sea
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Italian leader tones down divisive rhetoric but carries on with pursuit of far-right agenda
- For Trump, X marks the spot for his social media return. Why that could really matter
- Ohtani to keep playing, his future and impending free agency murky after elbow ligament injury
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
NFL preseason games Thursday: Matchups, times, how to watch and what to know
Virginia school boards must adhere to Gov. Youngkin’s new policies on transgender students, AG says
Gun control already ruled out, Tennessee GOP lawmakers hit impasse in session after school shooting
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Toddler remains found at Georgia garbage station could close missing child case
National Dog Day 2023: Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' have deals Saturday; Busch has pumpkin brew
Connecticut officer submitted fake reports on traffic stops that never happened, report finds